Monday, May 25, 2009

Looks from Life - Graffiti

I know most people are still away on vacation, and most likely are not sitting in front of their computers reading blogs on a nationally-recognized three-day weekend; however, I thought I would create a Look from Life because I haven't posted one in awhile.

Today's look is inspired by the colors of this piece of graffiti:

Matr - photograph by Franco Folini

I know some people (a lot of people, actually) have negative feelings towards graffiti - that it's just vandalism, that it stems from gangs, and instigates further violence in certain neighborhoods; but if you take a moment to look at it simply for its artistic value, it is truly amazing, and there are some incredible artists out in the world who might not otherwise get the opportunity to display their work.

I admit, the outfit inspired by this photo does not capture the same sort of grit present in the piece above; however, I did take into consideration the muted atmosphere, and tried to create a more casual look than most of my Looks from Life. I also wanted to keep it crisp and well-coordinated, trying to echo the attention to detail in the graffiti piece.


*swoon*
Paige

P.S. If you haven't seen the renowned, often politically-charged, works of street artist, Banksy, I highly recommend visiting his site.

SoulCal Tank - via Republic
Serpentine Shimmer Headband - via Anthropologie
Venice Beach Bolero - via Baur
Motorboat Trousers - via Anthropologie
Raf Simons Eastpack Messenger Bag - via Browns Fashion
Kenneth Cole New York Clean Cut Flats - via PiperLime

2 comments:

  1. there are so many brilliant arists out there that will never be known, and graffiti artists are some of them. i agree with you, many are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of using graffiti as inspiration, it definitely has artistic value.

    ReplyDelete